The specialists at the Cancer Treatment Center at Ogden Regional have been helping patients with cancer treatment for more than 35 years. We are the most established cancer treatment center in northern Utah. And now, our facility has the most formidable weapon in the war on cancer to date: TomoTherapy.
What is TomoTherapy?
Conventional radiation therapy delivers a wide beam of radiation from only a few angles. The TomoTherapy® treatment system uses its unique CT scanner design to deliver radiation continuously from all angles around the patient, delivering precise beams that conform to tumors and minimize healthy tissue damage.
Ogden Regional Medical Center in partnership with Gamma West Cancer Services, offers TomoTherapy treatment at our hospital. Currently, we are one of the only organizations in northern Utah to offer this revolutionary, curative cancer treatment.
TomoTherapy provides our radiation oncologists with the unique ability to:
- Use daily CT imaging to guide treatment based on patient anatomy for that day, rather than for last week or last month
- Customize delivery for each patient, surrounding the target with highly-precise radiation delivered from all angles
- Minimize radiation exposure to healthy tissue
- If necessary, adapt the treatment plan at any point
For more than 80 years, radiation therapy has been used in cancer care. The primary challenges have remained the same:
- How can doctors be sure the beam is reaching the tumor as planned?
- How can harm to healthy tissue around the tumor be minimized
- Watch the video
Addressing these challenges in newer, better ways has always entailed adapting a design from a different era. In the early 1990s, we had the opportunity to change that with a machine built for the future.