The specialists at the Cancer Treatment Center at Ogden Regional have been helping patients with cancer treatment for more than 35 years. We are the most established cancer treatment center in northern Utah.
To learn more about all of our cancer services, call us at (801) 479-2570.
What is conventional radiation therapy?
Conventional radiation therapy delivers a wide beam of radiation from only a few angles. The TomoTherapy® treatment system uses its unique CT scanner design to deliver radiation continuously from all angles around the patient, delivering precise beams that conform to tumors and minimize healthy tissue damage.
Ogden Regional Medical Center in partnership with Gamma West Cancer Services, offers TomoTherapy® treatment at our hospital. Currently, we are one of the only organizations in northern Utah to offer this revolutionary, curative cancer treatment.
With the assistance of TomoTherapy®, our radiation oncologists are able to:
- Use daily CT imaging to guide treatment based on patient anatomy for that day, rather than for last week or last month
- Customize delivery for each patient, surrounding the target with precise radiation, delivered from all angles
- Minimize radiation exposure to healthy tissue
- If necessary, adapt the treatment plan at any point
How does radiation therapy work?
Conventional machine design allows radiation to be delivered from only a few directions. The Hi-Art treatment system's linear accelerator (linac) is mounted to a CT scanner-like ring gantry, which means TomoTherapy® treatments can be delivered continuously, from all angles around the patient. More beam directions give physicians more control in how they plan treatments–and more assurance that the dose will be confined to the tumor, reducing the risk of short- and long-term side effects.
Why should you get radiation therapy?
The TomoTherapy® treatment system offers significant advantages for cancer patients:
- It is one of the most integrated, advanced systems for comprehensive cancer treatment available today.
- The all-in-one system lets your physicians scan and treat you with a single piece of equipment, which makes it faster, more accurate and convenient.
- It provides highly precise targeting and attacking of cancer cells. This helps to effectively treat hard-to-reach and complex tumors.
- It customizes treatment delivery specifically for you. No two cancers are alike—but conventional radiation therapies often treat them the same way. The TomoTherapy® system lets your radiation oncology team design a personalized treatment plan for you and adjust it at any time during your course of treatment.
- It minimizes damage to surrounding healthy tissue, so you have a lower risk of pain and complications.
- It helps you live your life during the course of treatment. Treatment itself takes only a few minutes a day, and you are in and out in as little as 10 minutes.
- It can often treat cancers that have returned, even if you have already had radiation therapy—even if you have been told by others that you are not a candidate for more radiation.
- It is noninvasive and as painless as having a CT scan or an X-ray.
- It can result in fewer and less severe side effects. Many patients feel better than they expected they would while undergoing TomoTherapy® treatment.
- It can be used in combination with surgery, chemotherapy and other medications to attack your cancer in many ways at once.